... especially when they are filled with wonderful things! :)
We went up to Wichita Falls on Friday night to visit some of my family. We try to get up there once a month or so... but we had a special reason for this trip. My cousin Katelyn gave birth to a beautiful baby girl! She was originally due on the 20th but baby Brylee decided she'd rather be evicted on Saturday morning rather than come on her own! Thankfully after 13hours of labor and 2 pushes, she decided to come join the family! I am so happy for Katelyn and I can't believe we are at that point in our lives to be extending our family with little ones. My youngest cousin is 16 so needless to say it's been a while since we've had a little one, let alone a baby around during the holidays and other get togethers. It will be so fun once our baby boy gets here... they will be 4 months apart and I can't wait to watch them grown up around each other! :)
Of course Katelyn looks amazing with a one day young little girl!
After visiting with her and holding Brylee, I realized how much closer I am to having one of my own! Have I mentioned how fast time flies!? It's pretty amazing how fast things happen.
Babies are such miracles. Our bodies are such miracles! I am amazed more and more that with the help of a loving Heavenly Father we as woman are capable of bringing such a beautiful creation into this world! I am grateful for the ability my body has to do such an amazing thing.
* * *
While we were in Wichita Falls, I brought along a project to work on. A few weeks ago when Ben and I came home, I spotted an old latter back chair on the curb waiting to be trashed. I immediately asked Ben if he could snatch it up for me and carry it upstairs. Even though it was in the trash pile and perfectly fine for me to take... I told Ben to hurry so whoever was the previous owner wouldn't walk out and look at me crazy for taking their busted up chair!! I know... silly of me but whatever.
Do you ever see something that is in less than perfect condition and immediately have an idea for it?! It doesn't happen to me all the time but this chair was an exception. As soon as I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it and lucky enough for me... it worked! :)
As you can see from the picture above... the seat was completely busted. It was also pretty dirty and stinky! I wore rubber gloves and cut all that twine off of the seat and threw it away, I obviously wasn't going to use it in that condition! Then, I cleaned the entire chair with clorox wipes to make myself feel better about where it could have been etc.
The next step was to change the color so I decided on Krylon Cherry Red. I also used black glaze over the red and sanded it in various places to give it a more distressed look. Once the paint dried, I took old fabric scraps, ripped them into strips (1/2 inch - 1 inch thick) and tied them together using a basic knot. Then, I did a basic weave (over/under) to create a new seat! Ben kept insisting I do a rush/basket weave but I knew it would take a lot longer and wasn't sure I'd have the patience for it. I love the way the basic weave turned out and I love scrappy, frayed look of the fabric.
It now sits inside the entry of our apartment where I had put one of our dining room chairs (temporarily). I love it... especially with the handmade pillows that Jess (the purple one) and I (the red quilted one) made.
I love how you can take an old worn out chair headed for the trash and give it a new life. Sometimes those items make the very best projects. I didn't have to pay for the chair and I had all the other supplies on hand! Super cheap, Super simple and Super cute! :)
* * *
I've definitely been in a project mood lately... I think this is one of the first projects I've done using inspiration from Pinterest.
I love the typography art work from Pitter Patter Art. It's so eclectic and has a worn, rustic yet cheery look to it which I love.
I really like how this piece is done so I decided to try and make one of my own.
I didn't have a place to put a long canvas like this so I chose a smaller canvas instead. I also chose a different quote. "Start each day with a grateful heart."
Here is mine...
The lighting in the bathroom isn't very good for picture taking... but you get the idea! Once again, this was a super easy project. I had most of the supplies on hand and anything I needed to buy (canvas, antiquing/distressing ink) were inexpensive at Hobby Lobby, especially with the 40% off coupon!!
This time of year makes me so happy. I LOVE Spring... and I love that it has decided to come a month early! Although we could use the moisture from the snow and haven't had a good freeze... I am enjoying the 60-70 degree weather! The trees are starting to bloom, the fields are so fresh and green, the birds are chirping and girl scout cookies are being sold!! What's not to love about 10 boxes of girl scout cookies Spring?! :)
a picture I took on the way home from my Aunt and Uncle's road... LOVE how green the grass is!
Pregnancy update to come this evening!

LOVE the red color you chose.
ReplyDeleteI love the chair! I know exactly what you mean about seeing something and immediately knowing what to do with it I love it when that happens!
ReplyDeleteLove the canvas and the adorable red chair-following you from TDC-stop by for a visit!
ReplyDelete