Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Home Stink Home...



Have you ever looked in your refrigerator and thought about how you should clean it out? Wishing the leftovers would get rid of themselves?!?

Fortunately... I found the perfect solution!
I bet you are dying to find out... am I right?!



1. Plan a 5 day vacation (or longer if you dare)... preferably 18+ hours away.

2. Turn off ALL of the breakers to conserve the maximum amount of energy while you are gone.

3. When you are on your way home from vacation... remember that the refrigerator is included in the circuit that you turned off 5 days ago.

4. When you arrive home... open the fridge. I PROMISE you, you will actually WANT to clean out the fridge and you will do it faster than you ever thought possible!!

LESSON LEARNED!!! If you plan on turning off your breakers to conserve energy... make sure that you keep the fridge turned on or else you will come home to one stinky mess and ruined food!!

It was absolutely horrible! Thank goodness the apartment didn't stink when we walked in but as soon as we opened the freezer... yea... imagine salmon, chicken, ground beef and sausage unthawed and sitting in a warm freezer for 5 days!! GROSS!! We came straight in, put on some rubber gloves, grabbed a bunch of trash bags and started chucking every single thing... including the plastic food containers, a glass bowl and a mixing bowl. I was not about to take the time and wash out any of those containers! Yuck! We had 5 or 6 bags of trash that we carried down to the dumpster.

Once we got it all cleaned out... Ben sprayed the heck out of it with Lysol and All Purpose cleaner. Then I sprinkled baking soda around to soak up any remaining odors. I kept the boxes of baking soda in there as well.

As disgusting as it was... It is nice to have a clean slate and start over! I love moving into a new place and filling up the refrigerator! I personally have fun doing so!

I am grateful to say that was the worst thing that happened on this trip (besides my hair...which is a story of its own). I am grateful that we made it to Myrtle Beach and back safely and that we were able to spend time with family and friends and enjoy the beach!!

Besides coming home to a mess, we had a great weekend!!

2 comments: